The Way Back Machine


C o m i n g S o o n . . . M y N e w B o o k . . . S l e e p l e s s N i g h t s . . . P l e a s e V i s i t . . . M y O T H E R S I T E S . . . D r e a m s A r e Y o u r s T o S h a r e . . . d h a n o s h ' s B l o g . . . A n d M y P o e m s . . .

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Pay It Forward

. . .



Reprint . . . I’m sitting at my desk, staring at a blank Word screen. Jackson Brown is running on empty and has been for oh so many years. Papers lay scattered and I’m not able to find my last thought. Tomorrow I have to go to Illinois for Easter. It always makes me sad, ever since my mom died almost five years ago.



But let me tell you, it never gets any easier. The first Easter after her death I Remember so vividly, I was taking my oldest to live with his Grandfather. He was having a rough go. My son was nineteen and was having trouble finding his way after high school. He thought he might want to be a mechanic, so I enrolled him in a school in Illinois, near my father’s house.



We were moving him on Easter Sunday and my two sons were driving in a vehicle behind me. As I drove the tears came, I just couldn’t stop . . . I think it was a combination of missing mom and my son moving out. I stopped at the first toll booth, the attendant said, “You’re paid, go on.”



I looked at him, dumb founded and he said again, “The guy up ahead paid for you.” “Why?” I asked. “I don’t know. He just did.”



I didn’t know what to say. It was so unexpected and so I just said, “Happy Easter.”



And then I knew someone had felt my pain. I will never forget that day. I was at one of my lowest points and someone opened their heart to me. Of course maybe they saw me, trying to hold back my tears . . . Or just maybe it was their Easter Gesture. But let me tell you, why they did it doesn’t matter, they did and they gave me a sign of hope. A sign that everything has a reason and just maybe someone is looking down, saying it’s going to be alright.



And to this day, I am trying to pay it forward, just like the movie. For those forty cents, in my eyes was worth millions. Happy Easter.



Dan Hanosh

Dreams are yours to Share



My Books: The World Outside My Window, AuthorHouse, 2004

Soon to come, Sleepless Nights




Links: Dreams Are Yours To Share

Warriors and Wars

The Moon Also Rises

dhanosh writingup

Dan Hanosh poemhunter.com

Dan’s Room 2 Write



Copyright © 2007 by Dan Hanosh. All rights reserved.



Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: